Welcome to our Newsletter!
A behind-the-scenes look at Terranam Wellness & self-care tips for taking better care of yourself.
BY MARIA GARRIDO - 2 MINUTE READ
Unclutter your mental space with a dose of digital detox.
THE BLESSING AND THE BURDEN
Technology is an enchanting web. Most of us recognize the gift of boundless knowledge this era of unprecedented interconnectedness has given us. Yet, amidst this brilliance, lies a subtle burden. The incessant digital hum and the relentless beckoning of screens can entangle us in a web of distraction, distancing us from the true essence of life and of ourselves.
I recently made a mental list of all the ways people can contact me.
Between Facebook, SMS, Whatsapp, my 2 personal email addresses, my two work emails, Instagram, Slack, LinkedIn, TikTok, I can easily get over 350 messages a day! This doesn't even begin to take into account the endless notifications on topics of "interest" or the hours spent scrolling mindlessly through other people's carefully curated and filtered lives.
I end up fiddling with the phone out of habit; I find myself sitting on long commutes swiping through bouts of boredom.
In all honesty, I'm starting to feel exhausted from the mind-numbingness of it all, as if the constant barrage is weighing on my brain. I KNOW there are way better things to be doing with my time than staring at the screen.
THE CALL TO EMBRACE SERENITY
There is a lot written about the adverse effects of a virtual existence on our children but we don't think about protecting ourselves, too.
For adults, mobile saturation can cause headaches, sensory overload (foggy brain), strained eyes, back and neck issues, irritability, not too mention anxiety and other mental health concerns.
It's a dangerous dance between the virtual and the real and a good dose of digital detox is sometime necessary to rebalance our lives.
I personally need a reminder of the sanctity of the present moment. Self-care is as much about the mind as the body and the stomach. So, it's time for a disconnect, a sacred pause to realign with your true essence and quiet the mind.
ONE STEP AT A TIME
Take advantage of the summer weather and cease the moment to unplug and rekindle your connection with nature and with your innermost self.
Embracing a Digital Detox takes intention and can give many people FOMO. Since we're all about kindness at Terranam, we don't believe in brutal behavioral changes.
Here are my suggestions on how to wean yourself gently from the virtual world, at least for a while.
• Out of the Office: set your virtual presence on pause. Inform your loved ones that you're taking a break. The whole world doesn’t need to know, just your most frequent contacts. It's not important for you to know what your childhood friend had for dinner and your followers will survive without knowing where you escaped to for the weekend.
• Turn off all the notifications on your phone. Yes, ALL of them. If someone urgently needs to get a hold of you, they can call.
• If you spend time on public transport, remember to grab a favourite magazine or the book on your bedside table on the way out the door.
•Do NOTHING. Sink into the boredom. Look out the window, at the people around you, let your mind wander.
• Nature's Embrace: Step outside and let your feet wander, too. Stroll among ancient trees, breathe in the fragrance of blossoming flowers, and immerse yourself in the symphony of nature's harmonies.
• Mindful Awakening: Allow yourself to be present in every moment, savoring life's simple joys with profound mindfulness. Relish the flavors of a wholesome meal, listen to your partnter and watch the sunset paint the sky with vibrant hues.
• Soulful Reflection: Unveil the treasure trove of your thoughts through journaling. Write what you are grateful for or just let the thoughts spill out and let the pen dance on the pages, liberating your mind and exploring your inner self.
As your Digital Detox journey unfolds, you will slowly learn to enjoy the stillness. The weight of digital burdens will fade, and you will embrace the realization that life flourishes even without constant virtual presence.
SELF CARE TIP
When the time comes to reconnect with the digital world, do so with mindfulness. Carrying the lessons of your Digital Detox, set boundaries that safeguard the serenity you have discovered. Remove apps you don't use and only reactivate notifications on the most crucial apps. Let your return be a conscious balance of the virtual and the real, safeguarding the stillness of your mind.